Friday, August 14, 2009

One step forward... two steps back...

I'm really excited about the fact that we can now enter OUR house whenever we want, without making appointments and without the tradesmen. It was kind of exciting last night when we dropped by after work and instead of prowling around the outside, up to our necks in mud, trying to peer through windows into a dark house, we could walk up to the front door and ENTER!! It will be even more exciting when we can go there and don't have to go 'home' afterwards.

We were really hoping to see that everything was finished as promised, but alas it wasn't(and we shouldn't be suprised by now). The painful part is there really doesn't seem to be any pride in the finish - in particular the painting and so Bryan is pursuing it this morning with the Area Manager and the SS. No doubt we'll get the same story... "today! It'll be done today!" (even though yesterday was their deadline, and before that is was Monday and before that it was Monday week ago...).

I really feel that the whole construction process has been a case of one step forward, two steps back. Yesterday's settlement was just another example... we walked away feeling optimistic again only to be dissapointed when they didn't deliver

BUT I'm going to let Bryan deal with that and I'll get on with getting excited about the fact that WE NOW OWN A HOUSE (well the bank does - but we get to look after it for them!).

I've also been working my way through that list over there --> the "To do before moving list" and have added another "To do/buy when we can..." which is growing rapidly...

The appliances were installed yesterday and so our kitchen looks complete and we have hot water as well. Now we just need a dishwasher to fill the ugly gap under the sink (better add that to the list).

The blinds for the front two windows are now done, I just need to put the battens in but I'll check that they fit the windows first before i do that. I took them over last night and held them against the window and it looks like they might be a bit long, but I won't know until I can hang them properly. It's not a big deal if I need to adjust the length, I'm just really hoping that the widths are OK (which looks good on the one that we did hold up so fingers crossed).

Oh and the phone is getting connected as I type!

1 comment:

  1. I so get what you mean about looking forward to the day when you then don't have to go 'home'!

    Having your keys now must be so awesome! No longer being confronted with a locked front door!!

    ReplyDelete